Friday, October 8, 2010

What I Learned From Chapter 6 & Have Not Mentioned: Conditionals & Their Contradictories

I realized that I experience conditional promises throughout daily life, especially amongst my teachers.

My psychology teacher at SJSU tells me:
"If you come to class everyday, then I will give you 100% on your participation grade."

This claim is only a conditional one because my teacher will only give me 100% if I attend class everyday. She has not promised to do such a thing unless I follow through with her request. Essentially, if I only show up to class 50% of the time I will not get the full participation grade.

Not all conditional claims involve "If...then..."
For instance:

"Give me $50 and I will forgive you for breaking my lamp."

Nonetheless, each conditional has an antecedent, which is the A in a claim, and a consequent, which the B in a claim.

"If..(A)...then..(B).." or "A and B" --> As seen in my previous example of not all conditional claims being "If...then..."




Then, there's a contradictory of a conditional, which is:
"If" A, "then" B has contradictory A "but not" B. (Epstein 121). The contradictory generally uses "although" , "even if" or "despite that."

*Keep in note that a contradictory of a conditional is not another conditional. (Epstein 122).

An example would be:

Conditional Claim: If Kristine practices dunking the basketball in the basketball hoop, then she will be able to dunk the ball into the hoop.

Contradictory of a Conditional: Even if Kristine practices dunking the basketball in the basketball hoop, then she will not be able to dunk the ball into the hoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment