Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"Group Communication" Concept: Mentor

In the Group Communication text, I found the concept of PRACTICE MENTORING to be the most interesting and relatable to my life.

I have always been a recreation kid. Every summer until I was age 13, I would attend summer camps held by the City of Santa Clara Parks and Recreation Department. Although the book says a mentor acts as a role model for a less-experienced employee, I was actually participant of the summer camp when I found my mentor, who is now my boss when I work for summer camps. (O'Hair, Wiemann 66). Since we have known each other for so long he acknowledges himself as my mentor, not my boss. I met Jon, my mentor, when I was 9 years old and when he was a recreation leader and not yet a supervisor. I looked up to him. I wanted to be a recreation leader just like him one day. Just as the book states, Jon is the mentor I am "receiving support, recognition, and friendship" from. (O'Hair, Wiemann 66).

As an employee under Jon, he is able to model for me what a good recreation leader does so that I can better the programs in the summer camps. We understand each other and have achieved a mentor-protégé relationship by establishing a "mutual understanding of the roles and characteristics" of each other. (O'Hair, Wiemann 66). Even though Jon is highly experienced and knowledgable in the Parks and Recreation field, as his protégé, I must be determine to learn and have an open-mind when I carry out the new skills I see demonstrated. However, what makes me a willing protege to learn is the fact Jon acquires all the attributes listed in the book. He is "approachable, confident, and secure," and this is what motivates me to learn from him and be a better performer in my job. (O'Hair, Wiemann 67). As I became adapted to my job, I still ask Jon for guidance when I have concerns on certain situations, but otherwise I can handle the job and tasks on my own.

What I found useful after reading about this concept was the tips the book gave on finding a mentor. They suggest individuals find a mentor that shares the same interest and career path as them. Once the person finds a potential mentor, they must take the initiative in introducing themselves to the mentor and asking the mentor any questions or advice to show that they are interested in learning from the mentor. Ultimately, the individual needs to form a positive bond with their potential mentor so that they can prove to the mentor that they have the qualifications to be a worthwhile and promising protégé.

No comments:

Post a Comment