Monday, December 6, 2010

Comm 41 Has Taught Me...

...how to think critically much better. For instance, when my friend asked me if her thesis for her argument against animal cloning was effective and convincing, I advised her to elaborate on her stance the unethical procedures involved in the cloning of animals. Recommending her to explain her explanations more concretely prevents vagueness from occurring. From taking this class, I am more alert to vagueness and/or ambiguity when it comes to noting them in claims.


I also learned more about fallacies. Before immersing in this class, I knew what a fallacy meant, but I only knew 7 types of fallacies, such as appeal to authority, appeal to emotion, appeal to fear, appeal to pity, appeal to spite, appeal to ridicule, and false dilemmas. I did not realize that there were fallacies that doubled the number I knew. I learned about fallacies such as straw man, hasty generalizations, post hoc ergo propter hoc, ignoring a common cause, and begging the question. It is beneficial for me to be knowledgeable of the different types of fallacies so I would not be oblivious if I were to unintentionally make one or read one.

No comments:

Post a Comment