Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chapter 10 Exercise #3 - Pg. 195

The advertisement I chose was done by the Montana Meth Project, who is a group that is focusing on preventing meth use amongst people in Montana, especially those in their teen years.

The picture of the woman with uneven, stained teeth and scratches and scabs on her lips and face creates a dramatic appeal to fear towards the readers viewing this particular advertisement. The appeal to fear is that if a person does not want to end up looking like the woman above, they should most definitely not start using meth. The sarcasm of the advertisement: "You'll never worry about lipstick on your teeth again," is very intriguing and it made me think: "That is not the kind of lipstick I would like on my mouth." To me based off this advertisement, meth is not worth it and has negative effects orally.

To sum up this advertisement as an argument, the premise would be that if a person uses meth, then consequently their mouth may end up like the woman above. This is considered as a valid argument. Use meth and you will get problems in your mouth. The premise and conclusion cannot be true and false at the same time.

Although the appeal to fear is spot on and can catch a person's eye from a mile away, if there were more information pertaining facts about meth leading to harsh oral conditions, this advertisement could be much better. I get the point though and seeing that the advertisement is produced by the Montana Meth Project, it is obvious that they are convincing their audiences to back off from meth.














1 comment:

  1. This is a very good advertisement for appeal to fear. It does a very good job of making one not want to use meth. If my teeth ended up like that after using meth, I certainly do not want to use it. This advertisement can be very good for persuasion besides the usual ones about drugs messing up judgment and the dangers of overuse. It can make you fear the use of it. I agree that the argument is valid since the use of meth will give you mouth problems. I also agree that it will catch your attention when you see it. It can make you think, “Oh that is not attractive, I want to know how I can prevent that” and you read that it is about meth so you fear the use of it.

    ReplyDelete