Monday, November 15, 2010

Thoughts On: Mission Critical Website

I really liked the Mission Critical website because it outlined most of the content that we have been reading and discussing about throughout the semester, such as the premises, vagueness and ambiguity, fallacies, causal arguments, and more.

The concept of deductive reasoning was still unclear for me and what helped me improve my understanding of it the most was by doing the exercises they provided for this concept. If I got an answer right or wrong they would explain why such a decision happened. After taking the practice tests, I can identify that the main premise in deductive reasoning has to have a commonality between to terms and can be stated as a "generalization, rule or principle." Additionally, I learned that when restating a claim for deductive reasoning, is to remember to "replace active or passive verbs with state-of-being verbs," such as is, am, was, are, being, be, were, and been and to condense sentences in any way I want as long as it does not cause confusion. Lastly, deductive reasoning can contain of syllogisms. A syllogism follows: If A is true then B is true (If A then B) --> Example: "All dogs have tails." Syllogism: "If Ralph is a dog, then he has a tail."

Now, I know which website to refer to if I ever need a refresh about the critical thinking concepts we have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment